Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Health Care Workers
I promise I actually saw this happen today around 9:45 a.m. I was standing outside the front door of my company's office building, talking to Ashley on the cell phone when I noticed some activity in the parking lot.

First, a mother exited our building along with two small children and headed for their vehicle, which was parked in the very first parking space against the sidewalk. Around the same time, a white Toyota 4-Runner entered the parking lot searching for a parking space. I must inform you that our office building, like the parking lot, is not very large; it accommodates three separate businesses--my company (JBHM), a dentist office (of which these people were clients), and a company called Du Puy. (None of us in the office can figure out what Du Puy's business is, but I think they have artificial hips in there someplace.) The parking lot is rarely full, and even the farthest space from the building would only require about a 200-ft. stroll to the front door.

Because all of the sidewalk parking spaces were occupied at this point, the 4-Runner was forced to park across the parking lot against the trees, about two spaces down from where I park every day. As the passenger, a woman in her mid thirties, stepped out of the parked vehicle and began walking across the parking lot, I saw her spy the mother loading her kids into the car at the sidewalk. She exchanged some words with the driver of the 4-Runner and continued across the parking lot as the mother began backing out of her parking space. No sooner had the mother cleared the turn of her back-out, the 4-Runner quickly backed out of its own space and made an awkward, swiveling circle to capture the prime sidewalk parking space. (Of course, this whole ordeal took place in less than two minute's time.) The driver of the 4-Runner then turned off the engine and stepped up on the sidewalk to join her passenger, who had been waiting for a little while for her friend to finish parking after crossing the 12-ft. parking lot. According to a license plate tag on the 4-Runner, one or both of these women were health care professionals of the nursing persuasion.

Draw your own conclusions.

3 Comments:

At 4/18/2007 2:56 PM, Blogger Bradley Reid Freeny II said...

Hmmmm. What makes me mad is when someone holds you up in a parking lot while they are waiting for someone to finish unloading their groceries, all because the spot is 50 ft. closer than one farther down. They could have already been in the store had they not waited!

I often choose to park in the back of the parking lot because I can park more quickly and be in the store in the time it would take me to drive around looking for a closer spot.

Next year we as educators have to begin periodically checking the body fat of our students. Needless to say, I'm not too happy about this. I guess student obesity has been added to the list of things we educators are blamed for now!

 
At 4/26/2007 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Brad, your transition to checking body fat threw me off a bit at first until I related it to laziness in parking. HAHAHA. I was trying to figure out were you were headed with that.

I too see it everyday here at work, but taking it a step further, you see it a lot during lunch time. Here at Saks, people will go get fast food, come back, sit in their car pulled to the side of one of the rows of parked cars. They will proceed to sit there eating while waiting for someone to leave. Of course, the entire time is spent with engine running and stuffing their face with burgers.

 
At 5/03/2007 8:56 PM, Blogger Reordberend said...

Uhh...that's disgusting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home