Thursday, March 01, 2007

An Addendum
Since I have some free moments in what I thought was going to be a thoroughly busy day, I’ve decided to take this opportunity to post a bit of an appendix to my most recent entry on the “cussing Christian.” From the fact that I have received no written comments on these thoughts, I surmise that one of two things has happened.

1) It’s been a busy week for everyone, so no one has read the entry.
2) I have successfully offended all five of my readers and am now being shunned.

I guess either case is fine with me, but if by chance anyone has an opportunity to continue reading this blog in the future, I do want to clarify a few things. Most importantly, I realize that the comparison between cussing and other “questionable activities” is quite an unfair analogy and does not hold water (figuratively). It was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek and exaggerated. After all, even with morality aside, how could we seriously associate the repercussions of using a “swear word” with those of sexually indiscriminate behavior, excessive alcohol consumption, and poor church attendance? The activities are obviously in entirely different ballparks.

Looking passed that ridiculous comparison, the question at stake is one that seeks the line between freedom in Christ and license to sin. And I think this question, whether or not it regards the language of a Christ follower, is one of that demands some consideration. Where does our desire to be “relevant” (to use the current terminology) to the world begin to conflict with our desire to be disciples of Christ, to sacrifice ourselves, to be called out and set apart?

In my own experience, I recognize that my language is one area that I can easily make myself distinct from, yet relevant too, the world. This is done, of course, by trying not to use foul language but by accepting and loving those who do. Whether foul language is a “true” sin in the biblical sense or simply a social taboo of the American South is not my concern or even something that I’m prepared to argue. I do know that one of my former pastors was asked to step down from his position because a book that he published included profanity spoken by a fictional character. I do know that I was once a part of a college Bible study group that began to dwindle in number because of the distracting “cussing” habits of the teacher. I know that although television censors are rather lax these days, many words are still not permitted on network television. And I know that the MPAA still considers foul language as a factor in its Hollywood movie ratings. We see that “society” still recognizes foul language—within the church and within secular entities.

To be tolerant of the cussing Christian and the cussing non-Christian is a good thing. I’m sure that Christ would be. Yet, it’s difficult for me to imagine that if Christ were here today, he would be walking around using vulgarities and muttering, “Sh*t,” every morning like I used to do. Fortunately, a big part of me craves the challenge of being a non-cussing Christian and a non-vulgar Christian. But the line between freedom and license exists everywhere, so it often doesn’t feel logical to dwell on the language factor. For what it’s worth, I’m still curious what you guys think…

3 Comments:

At 3/02/2007 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think "cussing" needs to be defined here. Are we talking about the typical cuss words or anything that may be considered vulgar? Yes, I would certainly consider Sh*t, A*s, F**k, and the like cuss words, but there are many vulgar things that can be expressed by a person without using such words. Sure, one way would certainly be gestures. The "finger" would be the equivalent to F**k You, so does this come into play?

I find myself to be more loose with my words than I ever have been in the past. There is a part of me that feels it is OK as long as I keep it to a minimum, and other parts of me that think back to the days I never used this language. I also find myself saying it is OK to say one word, but not another. The reality is that neither of the words are found in the Bible and specifically talked against, but from a society stand point, one is "worse" than the other.

I find that the Cussing Christian is easier to come by these days than they have been in the past. TV, as you mentioned, tends to be more willing to let words slip more so than it used to, and society is starting to view this as an OK thing, including Christians. Damn and Hell are certainly words that most people don't view today the same as they were viewed 10, 20, and definitely 30 years ago.

Although I am not a good example of a Christian that maintains a clean mouth, I am not sure I would be able to say that I maintain a clean mouth even if I did drop the few cuss words I allow to come out.

 
At 3/02/2007 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I had read your other entry, planning to reply with what I just commented on a minute ago.

One of your faithful five!

 
At 3/03/2007 4:36 PM, Blogger Bradley Reid Freeny II said...

I tried to post this comment earlier but it must not have worked. When I commented there were no posts and now there are two, none of which are mine. Here goes another try!
------------------------------------------

As for me, I fall into the category of having an extremely busy week.

I have often done the same thing you used to do when waking up. Either I was not looking forward to the day or it was the shock of oversleeping, but that word has slipped past my lips in those and other situations. More often the word is expressed in a thought, but the effect is still the same. It is something that I have had to discipline myself not to do.

I think it is important to have this discipline. As you said in your post, we are called to be set apart. At the same time, however, we cannot alienate ourselves from the world or other Christians.

In your first post on this topic you wrote, "But when the freedom is valued more highly than the discipline and obedience owed to God, the gift of redemption stands abused." We have to be careful that we don't use our freedom in Christ as an excuse for questionable behavior. At the same time, we should not judge a believer or non-believer for using bad language. What we should do is strive to discipline ourselves to remain obedient to God. This does mean restricting our freedom in God. It just means being responsible with that freedom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home