Thursday, January 11, 2007

Housecleaning at the Capitol
During my daily internet-clicking this week, I came across a few articles of interest concerning national politics. I claim no real understanding of the political process except for acknowledging the significance of voting to "exercise one's rights," although I'm still not entirely sure why our rights need exercising. And I try not to align myself with any political party in particular...this is because I feel like outright loyalty to a party would somehow alienate me from the other half of the nation's population, with whom I am equally trying to establish a relationship. Thus, I do not normally comment on political matters.

However, I was intrigued this week when I read of Nancy Pelosi's first "major" decision as Speaker of the House. Pelosi has flexed her newfound political muscle to forbid smoking in the famed Speaker's Lobby, which is an ornate hall located just off the House floor, somewhat of a lounge in which our legislators can relax, discuss, make shady agreements, etc. (In other words, it's an informal version of the House chamber itself.) Apparently, the hall has been renowned for its hazy appearance and even the House Minority Leader, John Boehner, has been instrumentable in adding to its infamy by puffing on a cancer device within its walls at nearly every recess.

According to the CNN article, Pelosi triumphantly declared, "The days of smoke-filled rooms in the United States Capitol are over." Thank God our legislative branch has come under the leadership of such a liberator. Pelosi has also vowed to continue "getting this Capitol into shape" by making sure the legislators get the dishes cleaned right after dinner and by not allowing anyone to go out and play before these clothes are put away. "This house is a wreck, and I'm not busting my butt or wasting my time any more until these folks learn to appreciate the things I do," said Pelosi. She then plopped down on the sofa and watched "Days of our Lives."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home